Maureen Thompson, Undergraduate Program Director,
315-443-9815, 344 White Hall
The 123 credit bachelor of science degree in Public Health (BSPH) prepares students for health related careers in government, private and non-profit organizations that address health promotion and illness prevention in individuals, families and communities. Students gain knowledge and skills in traditional public health core areas including environmental health, epidemiology, health services administration, and social & behavioral determinants of health. In addition, the program includes coursework to prepare students to work within the field of community health education. The program culminates with a 400 hour senior internship and capstone experience.
Graduates of the program will be competent to pursue entry level employment in public health fields or to pursue graduate studies in a variety of academic areas including public health, public policy, health care administration, and law. The program can also provide students with a pathway to advanced studies in medicine, dentistry, physician assistant studies or nursing.
The Public Health, BS accepts transfers into the program on a rolling admissions’ basis who meet the following criteria:
- Students with a cumulative GPA 2.7 or higher, in good academic standing at the university and with interest in public health are considered for transfer to the major.
- Students with cumulative GPAs of 2.5 - 2.69 will be considered based on factors influencing the GPA and grades of B or better earned in public health courses previously completed.
- Students must have completed a minimum of 12 credit hours at Syracuse University.
- In order to complete the public health degree requirements within a 4 year plan of study, students must have a minimum of 4 remaining semesters of study.
- An appointment must be made with the Undergraduate Program Director to discuss the major and to outline a plan for degree completion.
To make an appointment, contact Dr. Thompson, the undergraduate program director via email: firstname.lastname@example.org