Jing Lei, Chair, 265 Huntington Hall, 315-443-1362, email@example.com
The Master of Science degree in Instructional Design, Development & Evaluation is available in two formats: hybrid (requires some face-to-face/in-person attendance) and fully online.
The Instructional Design, Development and Evaluation Department (IDD&E) offers a variety of programs to help students develop the competencies required to identify and evaluate learning and performance problems and to design, develop, and implement appropriate instructional solutions to these problems. Students develop competencies to conduct instructional analysis, make appropriate design decision, develop instructional materials, implement and evaluate instructional programs, and assess learning. The curriculum includes courses that blend soft technologies (thinking models and theories, strategic planning, IDD&E processes, interpersonal communications, and software) and hard technologies. Through practical projects, students develop competencies to design, create, implement, and evaluate non-technology and technology-supported instructional solutions for a variety of educational and professional settings. Master’s (M.S.) and doctoral (Ph.D.) degrees in Instructional Design, Development and Evaluation are offered. Certificates are also offered in Designing Digital Instruction (online program-15 credits), Educational Technology (15 credits), and Instructional Design Foundations (12 credits).
IDD&E offers two M.S. degree options:
- Option 1: 10 courses with 6 sections requiring some face-to-face/in-person attendance on or near Syracuse University’s main campus (IDE 552, 621, 631, 632, 641, 712, 761), and 4 offered through online study (IDE 611, 761, 737, 772); or
- Option 2: A fully on-line program with 10 courses. This option has no requirements for on-campus residency.
Candidates must select one or the other of these options, and may not mix and match course sections from the two options. Either option may be completed either through full-time or part-time study.
- Bachelor’s Degree
- We recommend applicants have an undergraduate GPA of 3.0 or better. However, in reviewing applications, all elements are carefully considered.
- Official transcript of all undergraduate and graduate study
- Personal statement of goals. Please describe in approximately 500 words:
- your main academic interests;
- why you are interested in the IDD&E program;
- why you wish to study at Syracuse University;
- how you expect to finance your studies;
- and your plans for the future, after you receive your degree.
- 3 letters of recommendation
- Resume or CV
- International students: TOEFL/IELTS scores
Program Learning Outcomes
1. Describe foundational areas of instructional analysis, design, development, implementation, evaluation
2. Demonstrate foundational skills in instructional design practices
3. Develop practices in self-reflection and professional development
4. Select, use, and evaluate appropriate technologies to enhance-instructional practices and learning
Required Curriculum of the Instructional Design, Development and Evaluation, MS
Master’s students in the Instructional Design, Development and Evaluation (IDD&E) program are required to take 10 core courses (30 credits) listed below.
For online courses candidates must have high-speed internet access/bandwidth and technology resources (laptop, etc.) to participate, including software and peripherals that allow video and audio conferencing.
Online courses may include a combination of asynchronous (with students’ time spent at their convenience) and synchronous (all students in a section meeting online at the same time) activities.
Culminating Master’s Degree Portfolio
The program also requires students to complete a culminating digital master’s degree portfolio with sample, projects, reflection, etc., for the degree.
Master of Science in Instructional Design, Development and Evaluation
Up to 9 transfer credits accepted (must be approved by Department)
Ten (10) required courses with at least a 3.0 GPA, and successful completion of the required portfolio