2019-2020 Undergraduate Course Catalog 
    Sep 22, 2021  
2019-2020 Undergraduate Course Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

English and Textual Studies Minor

Professor Stephanie Shirilan, Director of Undergraduate Studies
410 Hall of Languages


Crystal Bartolovich, Dorri Beam, Dympna Callaghan, Jonathan Dee, Susan Edmunds, Chris Eng, Carol Fadda-Conrey, Arthur Flowers, Chris Forster, Ken Frieden, Mike Goode, Roger Hallas, Chris Hanson, Sarah Harwell, Brooks Haxton, Mary Karr, Christopher Kennedy, Coran Klaver, Erin S. Mackie, Patricia Moody, Patricia Roylance, George Saunders, Will Scheibel, Stephanie Shirilan, Bruce Smith, Dana Spiotta, Scott Manning Stevens, Harvey Teres, Silvio Torres-Saillant

The Department of English offers programs in textual and cultural studies and in Creative Writing. Courses deal with both written and film/screen texts, and study such problems as the nature and implications of reading and interpretation, the production of meaning in language and culture, and the nature of literary forms. Creative Writing courses include classes on generic forms (fiction, poetry, creative non-fiction) and workshops where students develop their own writing.

Minor in English and Textual Studies

The English and Textual Studies minor requires 18 credit hours of coursework (generally, six courses). Six credit hours (two courses) must be in courses at the 100 or 200 level (lower division) and twelve credits (four courses) must be in courses numbered 300 or above (upper division). One of the lower division courses must be ENG 242 - Reading and Interpretation . Students may include among their upper division courses either one approved course offered by the Writing Program (WRT) numbered 300 or above, or one approved Literature in Translation course (LIT) numbered 300 or above.

Please note that ENG 105 and ENG 107 and Advanced Placement or International Baccalaureate credits do NOT count toward the lower division credit requirements for an English and Textual Studies minor. In addition, no grade lower than a C- for any class will count towards the ETS minor.

Declaring a minor

To declare an ETS minor, students should complete the Declaration of Minor form from the Office of the Registrar and then bring the form to the English Undergraduate Office (401 Hall of Languages) for the signature of the Chair. A copy of the form must be filed with the student’s home college.