Jul 09, 2020
James Fathers, Director, Program Coordinator
108 Nancy Cantor Warehouse
James Fathers, Marion Dorfer, Dennis Earle, Matthew Zeke Leonard, Isabelle Prochner
The BS Design Studies program will provide students the skill set to become innovative creatives and leaders of cultural change in our global community. The main goals of this program are to educate students in a broad spectrum of design applications and academic studies. Students will consider the impact and influence of design in the context of the overall professional world including many disciplines that intersect the design fields, including engineering, marketing, entrepreneurship, product development, and other fields. One of the program’s primary purposes is to connect design practices to other disciplines at the university and to build on the strong community engagement component that is embedded in all of the existing design majors at SU.
ACCREDITATION: NASAD (application in process)
STUDENT LEARNING OUTCOMES:
- Be able to understand and articulate the historic and contemporary roles of design in global society and culture.
- Demonstrate critical thinking, diverse methodologies, and research synthesis in the design process from concept to consumer.
- Articulate the philosophical and ethical implications of design activity on society, culture, the environment, and professional practice.
- Understand and articulate the complex and evolving roles that design practitioners play in innovation, business, and organizational development, and to identify their desired role within that context.
- Demonstrate skills in research, writing, and idea generation relevant to the design sector including written assignments as well as individual and group presentations.
Required Studios 33 credits
Required Academics 15 credits
Required Art/Design History 6 credits
Art/Design History Electives 9 credits
Select 3 Courses from VPA Catalog
Academic Electives 57 credits
Academic Elective - Open x 4 = 12 Credits
Academic Elective (Minor exploration) = 3 Credits
Academic Elective (Social Science) x 2 = 6 Credits
Academic Elective (CRS 325: Public Speaking) = 3 Credits
Academic Elective (Minor A) x 6 = 18 Credits
Academic Elective (Natural Science) = 3 Credits
Academic Elective (Natural Science or Math) = 3 Credits
Academic Elective (Humanities-Foreign Language) x 2 = 6 Credits
Academic/Studio Elective - (Related to a Design Discipline - Select from offerings listed in the VPA Catalog) = 3 Credits
You can find a comprehensive list of approved academic electives :here
Total Credits Requried: 120
Degree Awarded: BS in Design Studies