Return to: College of Arts and Sciences
The Humanities Division encompasses the history, theory, analysis and criticism of language, literature and other texts, religion, art, and music; and the examination of fundamental questions arising in the human search for values, knowledge, purpose, and meaning. These are central concerns of the departments or programs of African American Studies; English; Languages, Literatures and Linguistics; Art and Music Histories; Philosophy; Religion and Women’s Studies. Hence, most courses satisfying the Humanities Division requirements come from these departments and programs.
The Humanities List
Students must take at least four courses from the following list, including a two-course sequence (indicated by hyphens), to complete the requirement for four courses in this division. No more than three courses may be taken from a single department or program (even if the courses of the department or program are in more than one division).
The following are Art and Music Histories sequences:
- COG courses may be accepted by petition.
Communication Sciences and Disorder
English and Textual Studies
- All ETS courses count in the Humanities Division.
A sequence can be made up of any two 100 - level ETS courses, any two 200-level ETS courses, or a combination of one 100-level ETS course and one 200-level ETS course, or the combination of ETS 242 and ETS 305 .
- JSP courses that are cross listed with humanities courses
- All ARB courses 202 and above.
- All CHI courses 202 and above.
French and Francophone Studies
- All GER courses 202 and above
- All HEB courses 202 and above.
- All HIN courses 202 and above.
- All ITA courses 202 and above.
- All JPS courses 202 and above
- All SWA courses 202 and above.
- All KOR courses 202 and above.
- All PRS courses 202 and above.
- All POL courses 202 and above
- All POR courses 202 and above.
- All TRK courses 202 and above.
Latino-Latin American Studies
Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender Studies
Literature in Translation
- All PHI courses.
A sequence can be made up of any two 100-level PHI courses, any two 200-level PHI courses, or a combination of one 100-level PHI and one 200-level PHI courses with the following exception: the combination of PHI 171 and PHI 172 does not constitute a sequence.
- All REL courses.
- A sequence can be made up of any REL course with any REL course at the 200-level or above.
Women's and Gender Studies
All WGS courses cross-listed with ETS, HOA, HOM, LIT, PHI, & REL
In addition to the following:
Interdepartmental Sequences in the Humanities