2017-2018 Undergraduate Course Catalog 
    Sep 28, 2022  
2017-2018 Undergraduate Course Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Exercise Science - Dance Minor

Return to {$returnto_text} Return to: School of Education


Suzanne K. Oliver, 314-443-2908, 204A Women’s Building

Student Learning Outcomes

1.Develop knowledge and skills specific to Western Theatrical Dance (History, Choreography, Kinesiology, Technique)
2.Demonstrate ability to apply concepts in action
3.Establish a disciplined practice in relation to dance
4.Understand and consistently employ safe practices (alignment, technique)
5.Explain the role of dance within a broad historical and cultural context (arts, humanities, wellness)

Requirements for Admission and Restrictions

The minor in dance is available to matriculated, undergraduate students from all Syracuse University schools and colleges, provided that they have the permission of their home school or college, and have a cumulative GPA of at least 2.8. Some background knowledge and experience in dance is seen as beneficial for prospective dance minor applicants, but not required.

Due to course sequencing and enrollment limitations, students must have a minimum of four semesters available to complete the minor requirements. Any student wishing to apply for the Dance Minor after the Spring semester of her/his sophomore year, must have one or more courses completed, or in progress.

The Program

Additional Information

*May be waived if you exhibit advanced technique. You may then choose, with proper advisement, additional course work to ensure a total of 18 credits.

**NSD 225 - Nutrition in Health  is a prerequisite for both NSD 425  and NSD 447  

***Other courses (300 level and above) may be substituted with Dance Minor Coordinator’s approval.

To Declare A Minor In Dance

  1. Check with your home school or college office to make sure you have room in your program for the required number of dance courses. Also reconfirm that you have a cumulative GPA of at least 2.8.
  2. Pick up a minor declaration form in Women’s Building, Room 201.
  3. Bring the minor declaration form to WB201 before the deadline. If you are approved, you will be notified by email, and asked to retrieve the form.
  4. Take the signed form to your home school or college office. They will approve the declaration, and give you instructions about how to get the minor officially posted to your SU record.

Return to {$returnto_text} Return to: School of Education