William D. Coplin
Director, Public Affairs Program
102 Maxwell Hall
Douglas V. Armstrong, John S. Burdick, A.H. Peter Castro, William D. Coplin, Donald H. Dutkowsky, Jerry Evensky, Paul Hagenloh, Kathleen A. Hinchman, Elisabeth D. Lasch-Quinn, Mary E. Lovely, Amy C. Lutz, Allan C. Mazur, Mark Monmonier, Robert Moreno, Anne E. Mosher, Nancy R. Mudrick, Tina Nabatchi, Arthur Paris, Sarah B. Pralle, Jane Read, Grant D. Reeher, Robert A. Rubinstein, Mark Rupert, Maureen L. Thompson, David Van Slyke, Michael Wasylenko, Joseph Richard Welsh, John C. Western, Peter Wilcoxen, Jamie L. Winders, John M. Yinger
The major introduces students to historical, social, economic, and political factors shaping contemporary public policy issues. Students develop an expertise in a public policy area of their choice that provides a broad range of scholarly perspectives.
Students also acquire practical skills by studying policy issues through coursework in the Public Affairs Program, other departments in the Maxwell School and in the College of Arts and Sciences, Sport and Human Dynamics, Management, School of Education, Visual and Performing Arts and Newhouse. Students develop skills in social science research, computer applications, data collection and analysis, written and oral communications, interpersonal relations, planning, management, and problem solving. These skills are needed to obtain desirable entry-level positions in business, government, and the non-profit sector. They also serve as excellent preparation for admission to leading law schools and public, business, and health administration, as well as other graduate programs. The skills are also essential for participating effectively as a citizen in today’s world.
Several of the required major courses involve internships and policy-related field work. An integral part of the policy studies major is the completion of a research project for a government agency or community organization. This study is frequently used by graduates to display their talents to prospective employers and graduate schools. A practicum is also required in which students complete an internship or work as a research consultant on an applied project. Students complete no less than 6 and as many as 15 credits in community-based coursework.
Students take 60 percent of their coursework in a core that develops basic skills and covers essential concepts. The other 40 percent of coursework is taken in one of four topical specializations: (1) Society and the Legal System; (2) Environment; (3) Business and Government; and (4) Health, Education, and Human Services. A major in Policy Studies leads to a B.A. degree in the College of Arts and Sciences.
Before admission to the major, students must have a “B” or better in PAF 101 - An Introduction to the Analysis of Public Policy and have completed or passing by mid-semester MAX 201 - Quantitative Methods for the Social Sciences or a suitable alternative approved by Professor Coplin. Students must complete at least 35 hours of public service by taking PAF 110 or a suitable alternative approved by Professor Coplin. An interview with Professor William D. Coplin, Director of the Public Affairs Program, is necessary before formally admitted as majors.