2016-2017 Graduate Course Catalog 
    Aug 09, 2020  
2016-2017 Graduate Course Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Child Therapy, CAS


Thom deLara, Department Chair and Professor of Practice,
Department of Marriage and Family Therapy


Deborah Coolhart, Thom deLara, Tracey Reichert Schimpff, Tracey Marchese, Dyane Watson, Ellen deLara, Melissa Luke, Derek Seward


The Certificate of Advanced Studies in Child Therapy is available for graduate students, clinicians, mental health professionals, and practitioners from allied disciplines who intend to expand their knowledge and skills in clinical practice with children and their families or care-givers. The proposed Certificate of Advanced Studies in Child Therapy is in keeping with the concerns expressed by state and federal agencies about the critical shortage of mental health professionals who are trained to address the needs of children, adolescents and their families.


The Certificate of Advanced Studies in Child Therapy is restricted to baccalaureate prepared licensed/certified professionals, and students currently enrolled in master’s level licensure qualifying programs. GRE’s are not required. Psychopathology (or its equivalent) is required for completion of the Child Therapy CAS. Because Psychopathology is a required course in the SWK, MFT and MHC master’s degree programs, it is not listed as a course in the Child Therapy CAS.  However, applicants who previously completed a master’s degree, and did not have Psychopathology in their course of study, must take a Psychopathology course in addition to the required 12 credits in the CAS. Completion of the Advanced Certificate in Child Therapy program alone does not qualify an individual for licensure as a social worker, marriage and family therapist, or any other profession licensed under Title VIII of the Education Law, nor does it authorize a certificate holder to engage in those scope-restricted professions.


Transfer Credit:

A maximum of three credits from a combination of transfer and/or external examinations/extra-institutional and experiential learning will be accepted toward a C.A.S.

Part-time Study:

Part-time study is allowed.

Satisfactory Progress:

Students must complete each course with a grade of B- or better and an overall GPA of 3.00 or better.