2016-2017 Undergraduate Course Catalog 
    Dec 06, 2022  
2016-2017 Undergraduate Course Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

English and Textual Studies Minor

Return to {$returnto_text} Return to: Academic Offerings

Carol Fadda-Conrey , Director of Undergraduate Studies
411 Hall of Languages


Crystal Bartolovich, Dorri Beam, Michael Burkard, Dympna Callaghan, Jonathan Dee, Susan Edmunds, Carol Fadda-Conrey, Arthur Flowers, Chris Forster, Ken Frieden, Mike Goode, Roger Hallas, Chris Hanson, Brooks Haxton, Mary Karr, Christopher Kennedy, Claudia Klaver, Erin S. Mackie, Patricia Moody, Kevin Morrison, Donald E. Morton, Patricia Roylance, George Saunders, Will Scheibel, Stephanie Shirilan, Bruce Smith, Dana Spiotta, Harvey Teres, Silvio Torres-Saillant, Meina Yates-Richard

The Department of English offers programs in textual and cultural studies, with special emphasis on literary history, criticism, and theory. Courses deal with such problems as the nature and implications of reading and interpretation, the production of meaning in language and culture, and the nature of literary forms. The curriculum also includes courses in creative writing.

Minor in English and Textual Studies

The ETS minor requires 18 credit hours of coursework (generally, six courses). Six credit hours (two courses) must be in courses at the 100 or 200 level (lower division) and twelve credits (four courses) must be in courses numbered 300 or above (upper division). The department recommends that one of the lower division courses be ETS 242 - Reading and Interpretation . Students may include among their upper division courses either one approved course offered by the Writing Program (WRT) numbered 300 or above, or one approved Literature in Translation course (LIT) numbered 300 or above.

Please note that Advanced Placement credits do NOT count toward the lower division credit requirements for an ETS minor.

Declaring a minor

To declare an ETS minor, students should complete the Declaration of Minor form (http://syr.edu/registrar/forms/Declaration_of_Minor.pdf) and then bring the form to the English Undergraduate Office (401 Hall of Languages) for the signature of the Undergraduate Coordinator. A copy of the form must be filed with the student’s home college.

Return to {$returnto_text} Return to: Academic Offerings