Keyboard: Steven Heyman, Associate Professor of Music
310 Crouse College, 315-443-1638, firstname.lastname@example.org
Percussion: Joshua Dekaney, Instructor of Music
301 Crouse College, 315-443-2191, email@example.com
Guitar: Dr. Kenneth Meyer, Instructor of Music
121B Crouse College, 315-443-2765, firstname.lastname@example.org
Meet with designated School of Music advisor prior to beginning the program.
3.3 (B+) GPA in one semester of lessons.
At least one full semester of private study on their instrument with a School of Music applied instructor. Positive recommendation in writing from their applied instructor.
The Minor in Private Music Study requires eighteen credits of coursework. Of these, a minimum of 4
credits must be in School of Music applied lessons listed below.
DRS 110, 210, 310, 410 Drumset/Non Music Majors
GTR 160, 260, 360, 460 Guitar/Non Music Majors
ORG 110, 210, 310, 410 Organ/Non Music Majors
PNO 120, 220, 320, 420 Piano/Non Music Majors
The remaining 14 credits can be selected from an assortment of courses offered by the School of Music and can include additional lessons, ensembles, courses in music theory, music history and literature, conducting, music industry, and music education. This will be monitored by careful advising. Other music courses as they appear each semester may be taken by permission of the advisor. A preliminary list of existing courses suitable for students in the Minor in Music Performance is below.
- DRS 110, 210, 310, 410 Drumset/Non Music Majors
- GTR 160, 260, 360, 460 Guitar/Non Music Majors
- ORG 110, 210, 310, 410 Organ/Non Music Majors
- PNO 120, 220, 320, 420 Piano/Non Music Majors
•Music Theory Courses:
- MTC 125: Introduction to Music Theory
- MTC 225: Sightsinging for Non-Music Majors
- MTC 145, 146, 147, 148, 245, 246, 247, 248: Music Major level theory classes
- MTC 100/200/300/400: Jazz Piano
- MTC 100/200/300/400: Jazz Double Bass
- MTC 100/200/300/400: Jazz Saxophone
- MTC 551: Songwriting
- MTC 555: Jazz Improvisation I
- MTC 556: Jazz Improvisation II
- MTC 557: Jazz Improvisation III
- MTC 558: Jazz Improvisation IV
•Music History and Literature:
- MHL 535: Orchestral Repertoire
- MHL 500: Advanced Orchestral Repertoire
- MHL 466: History of Jazz
- MHL 566: Topics vary from semester to semester
- MHL 500: Topics vary from semester to semester
- Any HOM Music History class
•Music Industry, Music Education, and Conducting
- CTG 545: Basic Conducting
- MUE 518: Marching Band Techniques
- MUI 205: Music Industry I
- MUI 206: Music Industry II
- AMC 500: Alexander Technique
- Any ENI ensemble
- Any ENC ensemble
- Any ENV ensemble
Total Credits: 18
Eighteen credits minimum of course work with at least four semesters (4-8 credits) of study in SOM
applied lessons. Twelve credits in the minor should be at the 300 level or higher. The remaining 10-14 credits to be chosen from private lessons, ensembles, or from the list of courses below. This will be monitored by the advisors for this minor. No courses taken for zero credit will count toward the minor.
Students within the School of Music are ineligible for this minor.