Academic Rules

Student Status


Matriculated Students

A matriculated student is defined as one who has applied for, been formally admitted to, and has registered for one or more courses in the degree- or certificate-granting program to which he/she has been admitted. You must be matriculated to receive a degree or certificate from the University.
Students who take an official leave of absence maintain matriculation status.

Non-matriculated Students

Non-matriculated students are held to the same academic standards as matriculated students.

A non-matriculated graduate student is one who has earned a bachelor's degree at SU or elsewhere, but has not been formally admitted to a degree or CAS program at SU. This status applies whether registering for graduate or undergraduate courses.

A non-matriculated undergraduate student is one who has neither earned a bachelor's degree nor been formally admitted to the University.

  • Undergraduates who are academically dismissed from a school/college and accepted into University College as “special students” are considered non-matriculated.
  • Taking courses at University College does not imply matriculation, since you must be formally admitted to an SU degree program in order to become matriculated.
  • Students who are withdrawn from the University become non-matriculated. Upon readmission, matriculation status is regained.

Full-time and Part-time Status

The University’s certification of a student’s status is based solely on the criteria stated in this rule.  Students who meet SU’s requirements for full-time or part-time status may not meet requirements for such status as defined by other agencies or institutions. Conversely, students who do not meet the University’s requirements for full-or part-time status may be considered full-time or part-time by other agencies.

Graduate Students
Full-time (Fall and Spring)
A graduate student is considered full time under either of the following conditions:

  • registering for nine credits for spring or fall in a program approved by the student's advisor; or
  • being appointed as a graduate assistant or holding a Syracuse University Fellowship.

The academic department, program, or school/college certifies full-time study by an appropriate combination of activities from among the following:

  • study for preliminary, qualifying, or comprehensive exams;
  • study to satisfy language or tool requirements;
  • work on a dissertation or thesis
  • pursuing an internship that equates to at least 9 credits of coursework; or
  • other special circumstances, as determined by the academic unit.

If you are studying for language or tool requirements, or working on a dissertation or thesis when not registered for thesis or doctoral dissertation credits, then you must register for GRD 998, “Degree in Progress.”

A law student is full-time if enrolled for 12 credits in spring or fall semester. If matriculated in a dual degree program that includes the J.D. degree, then the law requirement for full-time status takes precedence over the nine-credit criterion for full-time status as stated above.

Full-time (Summer)
To be considered full time for the summer semester, graduate students must either register for a total of 12 credits, or be studying for language or tool requirements, or working on a thesis or dissertation. Registration for six credits in a six-week summer session confers full-time status for the session.

Part-Time (Fall, Spring, and Summer)
Graduate students who do not meet the requirements for full-time status are considered part time.

Undergraduate Students
Full-time (Fall, Spring, and Summer)
Undergraduates are full time if registered for 12 or more credits during any semester. Registration for six credits in a six-week summer session confers full-time status for the session.

Part-time (Fall, Spring, and Summer)
Undergraduates enrolled for fewer than 12 credit hours are considered to be part time.
Exception: Engineering and Computer Science Students registered in the Cooperative Education program for zero hours in semesters when they are on work assignments are considered to be full time.

The number of credit hours carried by a part-time student may affect eligibility for University housing and financial aid. For purposes of financial aid, students registered for 9-11 credit hours are considered three-quarter time: students registered for 6-8 credit hours are considered half-time students; students registered for 0-5 credit hours are considered less than half time.